Sunday, September 21, 2008

westward ho

The greenbelt runs along the Boise river for more than ten miles. It starts in the east at Lucky Peak dam and runs through downtown Boise and then on through Garden City. A paved biking/walking path lines one side or the other and, for much of the Boise Downtown section, both sides. I've been up and down both sides of the river downtown and some of the way to Lucky Peak. Okay, I've driven alongside the part that runs from downtown to Lucky Peak. Someday I'll ride my bike to Lucky Peak but not this year - I honestly can't see myself riding out there the next few weeks and with Fall arriving the weather will only hold for a few more weeks.
Tonight I tossed the dogs in the car and drove down to the greenbelt and walked west - toward Garden City. I haven't been down that end either. It's less developed or more properly, less redeveloped. There are empty, vacant lots and rundown light industrial facilities in parts but much of it is simply "open space" right up against the river. I saw a few people fly fishing. A family was enjoying skipping stones. We were passed by quite a few bikers. It seemed everyone wanted to get another trip on the greenbelt before it gets too cold.
Even now there are signs of Autumn all along the river. The locust trees are turning yellow already but they are the first to go each year. The wild grapes are turning bright blue on brilliant red stalks. Here and there oaks are turning red along with various creeping vines. The ducks and Canada Geese are flocking in preparation for their migrations. They fly low over the river and honk their lonesome calls to one another. I have a friend who doesn't like to see the leaves turn color because it means that winter is coming soon. It makes me a little sad to know they don't enjoy the moments, however brief, that make up Fall.

No comments: